The University System of Maryland’s Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) Program is proud to celebrate the Summer Bridging Conference, a National Science Foundation (NSF) funded program, and it’s extending an invitation for all University System of Maryland, undergraduate students from underrepresented backgrounds in STEM fields to participate from this event.
LSAMP Summer Bridging Conference
Friday, August 17, 2018
9:00 AM – 5:30 PM
This programming is FREE and part of the University System of Maryland’s (USM) Pipeline Development Conference: SUCCESS 2018, a professional development conference for underrepresented students. You are invited to attend in addition the PROMISE AGEP Summer Success Institute (Saturday, August 18, 2018), a program for undergraduates, graduate students and postdocs. *Requires separate registration.
7795 Arundel Mill Blvd., Hanover, MD 21076
UMD and UMES campus will be providing transportation if needed. Please contact Dr. Tracy Bell at UMES and Brandon Greulich at UMD for more information.
Business/business casual, jeans, chinos, polos, and shirts are accepted. Please avoid casual wear such as shorts, flip-flops, and t-shirts.
We will be using Whova (you can download it from Google Play or the App Store) for our event’s agenda, so please make sure to download the app and create a profile using the same email address you will be using to register at the following link (orange button) when requesting your ticket:
Download Whova app:
The components and agenda will be updated as speakers and sessions are confirmed. Please stay tuned.
Program At-a-Glance for Friday, August 17, 2018
- 8:30 AM: Registration & Breakfast refreshments
- 9:00 AM: Welcome to USM LSAMP, with Dr. Rosemary Parker, Dr. Tracy Bell, & Sunji Jangha
- 9:15 AM: Your STEM Identity, with Dr. Renetta Tull
- 9:30 AM: The importance of community: You are not alone, with Mitsue Wiggs
- 9:45 AM: Things that you need to know during your 1st year, with Bruk Berhane and Dr. Kevin Calabro
- 10:45 AM: USM LSAMP Research Surveys
- 11:00 AM: Time Management for the 4.0, with Dr. Marquita Qualls
- 12:30 PM: Mentoring Lunch, with Dr. Daniel Jean – The Pact
- 1:30 PM: Navigating the Hidden Curriculum at my University
- Community Building
- Supplemental Instruction Resources
- Student Round Table
- 3:00 PM: Break
- 3:15 PM: Student Success Workshop, with Sunji Jangha
- 4:45 PM: Reflection on the Day and Report Out
- 5:30 PM: Adjourn
For those interested in attending the Summer Success Institute
on Saturday, August 18, 2018,
from 8:18 AM – 3 PM, please register here:
Full SSI agenda: https://promiseagep.com/2018/06/11/ssi2018/