The University System of Maryland’s LSAMP program and the Executive Director of the Latin and Caribbean Consortium of Engineering Institutions (LACCEI) invite the students of LSAMP and LSAMP-BD to come to the 2018 LACCEI annual conference in Lima, Peru to share research and participate in activities of the Student Platform for Engineering Education (SPEED).
The 2018 Conference: http://wp.eng.fau.edu/laccei2018/
Call for papers – Please apply for the student competition: http://wp.eng.fau.edu/laccei2018/student-paper-competition/
Several NSF USM LSAMP-BD Fellows, PROMISE AGEP Fellows, and faculty connected with ADVANCE programs have participated in LACCEI in the past.
To make plans for LACCEI 2018:
- Submit an abstract ASAP: The student paper submission deadline is March 1, 2018. You must create an account to submit the abstract. You may submit an abstract based on your research. The conference primarily focuses on engineering, computer science, and IT, however, students with other science backgrounds are invited.
- Let us know that you have submitted by writing a short comment at the bottom of this post. Include your name, school, discipline, your LSAMP or AGEP program. (Example LSAMP students in Maryland (Meyerhoff – UMBC, CMSE – UMES, LSAMP Scholars – UMES) belong to the USM LSAMP. Students from Morgan, Howard, etc. are part of the WBHR-LSAMP. URM STEM Graduate students at any school within the University System of Maryland are part of the PROMISE AGEP.)
The Maryland delegation will be led by the Co-PIs of the USM-LSAMP. Students from the PROMISE AGEP and the USM LSAMP have participated in LACCEI conferences in Panama, Mexico, Ecuador, Dominican Republic, and Boca Raton. (Contact person: Dr. Renetta Tull).
Limited funding for travel (registration, flight, lodging) has been reserved for those USM LSAMP and PROMISE AGEP students whose abstracts are submitted and accepted.
- Students who travel with the Maryland delegation will be expected to participate in a daily Twitter activity that will start on July 17, 2018, and end on July 24, 2018.
- All participants will tweet daily for the duration of the trip in Lima and will respond to questions that are posted about the conference sessions and experiences.
- We will use the following hashtags #ThinkBigDiversity and #LACCEI2018 in every tweet.
Rules of Engagement:
- Create a Twitter account if you don’t have one. Please remember that this tweets will be used for official reports and research.
- Use #ThinkBigDiversity and #LACCEI2018 in each tweet.
- When answering a question make sure to follow the logic Ex. “Q1” = Question one, when answering question 1 write “A1” = Answer 1 in front of your answer.
- When typing a long answer, please type it on a separate sheet or page and divide the answers into parts so when tweeting it will look like a thread (1/2, 2/2). See example below #6.
- We are aiming for 10 tweets per person, per day.
- Please follow https://twitter.com/MedinaYarazeth and https://twitter.com/USM_LSAMP
Students from other LSAMP and AGEP programs are encouraged to talk with LSAMP and AGEP directors, faculty, and administrators at your respective universities to obtain funding. Students are also encouraged to seek travel funds through their respective student organizations.
Please note that your work will likely fit into one of the technical tracks shown in the flyer above.
LACCEI Ecuador 2014
Maryland LSAMP-BD students, PROMISE AGEP, & ADVANCE faculty
University System of Maryland LSAMP and PROMISE from UMBC, College Park, UMES, Bowie State in Costa Rica, 2016.
University System of Maryland LSAMP and PROMISE from UMBC, College Park, UMES in Boca Raton, Florida 2017.