Seven students, faculty, and staff from UMBC are at the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) conference in Salt Lake City this week. The students are participating in various activities throughout the conference such as the GEM GRADLab, and culturally-relevant science discussions with mentors. The Maryland delegation includes students from LSAMP and the board from the new SACNAS chapter on campus as well as mentors.
Participants will be attending the SACNAS 2017 conference in Salt Lake City, October 19-21, 2017 and will tweet about their experiences.
SACNAS Website: SACNAS Conference 2017
Hilton Salt Lake City Center: Hilton Salt Lake City Hotel
Specific Items of interest for Participants/travelers:
- Be sure that you have checked your email and followed all instructions from Yarazeth Medina regarding travel forms, travel allowance, etc.
- Departures for Delta Airlines: All participant must arrive 2 hours in advance to the airport. General Delta Airline procedure includes checking in online within 24 hours of the flight.
- Please remember to save the date for our Pre-departure meeting on Friday, October 13.
- Attire for the conference: Business
Salt Lake City, Utah
- Weather for the week: 49 degrees
- Time Zone: UTC/GMT -6, No daylight savings time, 2 hours BEHIND Maryland.
Twitter activity is obligatory. Please engage, and use in your tweets:
#ThinkBigDiversity #GEMGRADLab #SACNAS2017
- Tuesday, October 17: Arrival (casual clothing)
- Wednesday, October 18 – Attire: Business casual
- Registration 1 PM
- Modern Math Workshop 12 PM – 5 PM or
- GEM Getting Ready for Advanced Degree Laboratory (GRAD Lab) 2 PM – 6 PM –
- Thursday, October 19: ALL DAY SESSIONS – Attire: Business/ business casual
8:45 AM – 10:15 AM Funding Opportunities for Graduate School and Beyond
10:30 AM – 12 PM Experiences of Latinx STEM Graduate Students / Imposters, Resilience, and Academy Training / Insights to Success: Real-Life Adventures of SACNAS Scientists
12 PM – 1:45 PM Plenary
2:30 PM – 4:30 PM Student Poster Presentations
5 PM – 6:30 PM Conversations with Scientists
6:15 PM – 8 PM Plenary
- Friday, October 20: ALL DAY SESSIONS – Attire: Business/business casual
8:45 AM – 10:15 AM Graduate School Is a Marathon, Not a Sprint / Imposter Syndrome / Intersectionality / Interview Success!
10:30 AM Success in STEM Goes Beyond Traditional Practices
11:30 AM Plenary
1:45 PM Student Poster Presentation
4 PM Graduate Oral presentations
5:30 PM Plenary
- 8 PM – 10:30 PM Annual SACNAS Pow Wow (Cultural, networking)
- Saturday, October 21: Return (casual clothing)
Students who travel with the Maryland delegation will be expected to participate in a daily twitting exercise that will start on October 17, 2017, and end on October 21, 2017. All participants will tweet daily for the duration of the trip in Salt Lake City and will respond to questions that are posted about the conference sessions and experiences, using the hashtags #ThinkBigDiversity and #SACNAS2017.